“While we’ve come a long way in the last 20 years, gay and bisexual men often still face an element of embarrassment and even stigma when discussing and addressing intimate issues with their GP,” explains TEN81 Counsellor Johan Meyer.
“Also, most GPs are not experts in the field of gay sexual health and many may not be aware of the latest research and developments in this area,” he says.
Meyer adds that some MSM may be in a relationship with or be married to a woman. They might be confused about their identities and practises and may fear approaching their family doctor for advice or support.
“At TEN81, our clients are assured of high quality services, all with a welcoming, private and non-judgmental approach to their relationships and sex lives,” he says.
In addition to Meyer, the staff complement at TEN81 includes Gerard Damstra, a registered nurse who specialises in the field of HIV and STIs; Dr Amanda Botha, who is an expert in working with gay men and their sexual health; and Counsellor Jay Matlou.
Services on offer include:
- General medical consultations
- HIV counselling and testing
- STI screenings and treatment
- Provision of PEP (Post Exposure Prophylaxis) and PrEP (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis)
- Consultations on sexual health and safer sex practices
- Provision of holistic treatment plan for HIV positive clients
- Monitoring of CD4 count and viral load for HIV positive clients
- Anti-retroviral (ARV) treatment for HIV positive clients
- General individual and couples counselling
Fees range from R100 for a 15 minute nurse consultation, R350 for a 15 minute doctor consultation, to R350 for a session with a counsellor (up to one hour).
TEN81 Medical Practice is associated with OUT Well-being, which has more than 20 years experience in supporting the health and well-being of gay and bisexual men and MSM in South Africa.
TEN81 Medical Practice is open Mondays to Fridays from 8:30 to 16:30. It is conveniently located within a 10 minute walk from the Hatfield Gautrain Station in Pretoria.
To make an appointment, please call 012 430 2081 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information please contact Dawie Nel on 012-430 3272 / email@example.com.