5 March 2021 – In the last few months, OUT LGBT Well-being has provided training on sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, and sex characteristics to dozens of individuals all over South Africa.
Between July 2020 and February 2021, we trained civil society organisations, university students and LGBTI groups in various provinces – including the Western Cape, Gauteng, Mpumalanga and KZN – and dealt with the following subject matter:
- General sensitisation: Unpacking SOGIESC (Sexual Orientation. Gender Identity and Expression and Sex Characteristics)
- Unpacking the LGBTI acronym
- Information about pronouns
- Hate Crimes: How to identify them
- Legislation that protects LGBTI persons
- How to access justice without a lawyer
- Legal Gender Recognition: How to change forenames and how to change one’s gender marker/ sex descriptor.
OUT also partnered with The Arum Institute and administered victim empowerment training for their transgender beneficiaries.
For more information about OUT’s training services, please contact Roché Kester on firstname.lastname@example.org.