- Recognise the kind of guilt you have and its purpose.
- “True” guilt is guilt for an action, decision, or other wrongdoing for which you must take responsibility, and that may have negatively affected other people.
- Deal with it by taking responsibility, trying to apologise, and trying to make amends or changes.
- Then forgive yourself and move on.
- “False” guilt is guilt for something out of your control and is irrational.
- Identify what you falsely feel guilty about, as well as your feelings.
- Recognise what you have control over versus what you cannot control. Let go of what you cannot control.
- Write and / or talk about these feelings causing the “false” guilt.
If you need more advice or support, please contact: