- Always let someone know of your movements and where you are at all times.
- Stay away from dark and/or quiet alleys and streets at night, and even during daytime.
- Avoid people who’ve made homophobic comments in the past – and know where they live and operate (many hate crimes are committed by people known to the victims).
If you’ve experienced a hate crime because of your sexual orientation or gender identity these organisations can help. Call one of them now or visit www.asiphephe.org.za.
• Lesbian and Gay Centre (Durban): (031) 312-7402
• FEW (Joburg): (011) 403-1906/7
• GALA (Joburg): (011) 717-4239
• OUT LGBT Wellbeing (Pretoria): (012) 430-3272
• Gay & Lesbian Network (Pietermaritzburg): 0860 33 33 31
• Triangle Project (Cape Town): (021) 686-1475
For more information on the Love, Not Hate campaign click here.
This campaign is supported by DiDiRi, Open Society Foundation for South Africa & The Sigrid Rausing Trust.