This goal is achieved by Peer Educators sharing and distributing education and information material to peer group members, and by distributing and making available commodities to individuals and groups in their communities.
Peer Educators receive their stipends of R2 200-00 per month from the National Department of Health and have to sign a contract with the department. Candidates should:
• Have contact with MSM (men who have sex with men) as they will work directly and informally within their own social and sexual networks
• Be comfortable to work with MSM clients of all races
• Have knowledge within the field of HIV/STIs
• Be knowledgeable about substance abuse
• Be reliable and accountable
• Knowledgeable and accurate with regards to data capturing
• Be available to work approximately 16 hours per week in order to reach targets and attend bi-monthly meetings
• Be willing to work over weekends.
THIS IS AN IDEAL POSITION FOR STUDENTS!
OUT is a professional service organisation focusing on Lesbian / Gay / Bisexual / Transgender (LGBT) people and is dedicated to the building of healthy empowered LGBT communities in South Africa and internationally. OUT aims to reduce hetero-sexism and homophobia in society. OUT’s focus areas of work are direct health and mental health services, research, mainstreaming and advocacy.